755 views, 0 RAMs, and 1 comment
Hello! I'm very new to Python, so sorry if this question is super simple. But I keep running into this message: TypeError: object of type 'int' has no len() What does this mean? Where am I going wrong in my code? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.
This is a debug account.
len() gets the length of a string. The data passed to it has to be a string, that's just how it works.
So if you're trying to pass an interger value into it then it will break and you will see your type error.
To get the len() (number of characters) of an int you need to convert it to a string before running the function.
x = 12345 len(str(x))
You can also do this without converting the value to a string with the math library.
import math x = 12345 digits = int(math.log10(x))+1
And if you need to deal with zeros or negative numbers you can do something liike this.
import math x = 12345 if x > 0: digits = int(math.log10(x))+1 elif x == 0: digits = 1 else: digits = int(math.log10(-x))+2
It's a bit of extra work but in some cases you may need to do that. It depends on what you're trying to do.
Hope this helps.
"THAT DOG IS GETTING RAPED" - Terry A. Davis
Post a New Comment
Do you like having a good time?
Register an Account
Read Quality Articles
Read some quality articles. If you can manage to not get banned for like five minutes, you can even post your own articles.
Argue with People on the Internet
Use your account to explain why people are wrong on the Internet forum.
Vandalize the Wiki
Or don't. I'm not your dad.
Ask and/or Answer Questions
If someone asks a terrible question, post a LMGTFY link.
Make Some Money
Hire freelancers and/or advertise your goods and/or services. Hire people directly. We're not a middleman or your dad. Manage your own business transactions.
Answers— Read More
Find more related content below!
- [Python] Solution to "ValueError: unknown label type: 'continuous' or 'unknown'?"...
- [Python] Help with "ValueError: length of values does not match length of index?"
- [Python] Help with "ValueError: cannot reindex from a duplicate axis?"
- [Python] Solution to "ValueError: cannot convert float nan to integer?"
- [Python] Fix for "TypeError: can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly?"
- [Python] Solution to "TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'?"
- [Python] How to fix "TypeError: 'str' object does not support item assignment?"
- [Python] Help with "TypeError: 'float' object cannot be interpreted as an integer?"
- [Python] Fix for "NameError: name 'xrange' is not defined?"