Using the digits 000000 to FFFFFF, hexadecimal color codes are used to represent nearly every color seen on the Internet. Here is how hexadecimal colors actually work.
How Hexadecimal Colors Work
In hexadecimal, the numbers A through F are used to extend the base-10 decimal system to a base-16 system:
- 0 = 0
- 1 = 1
- 9 = 9
- A = 10
- B = 11
- C = 12
- D = 13
- E = 14
- F = 15
A hex color is equivalent to an RGB color:
- RGB(0,0,0) is the same as #000000
- RGB(255,255,255) is the same as #FFFFFF
A hex color consists of three sets of two hexadecimal digits. The first two are the amount of red, the second two are the amount of green, and the last two are the amount of blue.
- FF = 255
Decimal to Hexadecimal Conversion
Note that while this converter is limited to hexadecimal numbers from 000000 to FFFFFF, hexadecimal can be used to represent any number that can be represented using decimal notation.
Also note that hexadecimal as a general concept does not require padding zeros to six positions. This is a convention used for denoting hexadecimal colors.
Why the R, G, and B are between 0 and 255
The reason why the max is 255 is because:
- A byte of data is eight bits
- ight bits is equal to 2^8 possible values
- 2^8 = 256
- Since 0 is one of the 256 possible values, a byte frequently represents an integer from 0 to 255
The point being that a hexadecimal color has one byte of data for each of the the R G and B values.
- How to Get more followers on your Instagram Profile?
- How to Use CSS to Style HTTP/HTTPS Links and Internal/External Links
- What is the viewport meta tag used for?
- CSS -- How to make a background color transparent without affecting the text and other elements
- I need to get Bauhaus font? Where can I find it?
- Text-align: center not working -- how to center an element with a border using CSS
- How do you make a color gradient using CSS?
- The difference between HSL and RGB in CSS?
- How do I set transition properties for a button using CSS?
- What DOCTYPE to use and why?
August Garcia is some guy who used to sell Viagra on the Internet. He made this website to LARP as a sysadmin while posting about garbage like user-agent spoofing, spintax, the only good keyboard, virtual assitants from Pakistan, links with the rel="nofollow" attribute, proxies, sin, the developer console, literally every link building method, and other junk.
Post a New Comment
Do you like having a good time?
Register an Account
Read Quality Articles
Read some quality articles. If you can manage to not get banned for like five minutes, you can even post your own articles.
Argue with People on the Internet
Use your account to explain why people are wrong on the Internet forum.
Vandalize the Wiki
Or don't. I'm not your dad.
Ask and/or Answer Questions
If someone asks a terrible question, post a LMGTFY link.
Make Some Money
Hire freelancers and/or advertise your goods and/or services. Hire people directly. We're not a middleman or your dad. Manage your own business transactions.